Blogging tips

Friday 23 May 2014

A bolero's diary


Yes, I know I’m late today but you will find out why very soon.
My rose brown viscose yarn told me that she wanted to be a bolero, not any bolero but this one.

It was going to be the first garment that I make for myself.

Instinct: yes, nice match.

Brain: I agree, so let’s crochet it!








Day 1

I start by checking the gauge. My yarn calls for a 3-4 mm range hook and the pattern for a 3.5 mm hook so I use a 3.5 mm hook and find that my swatch is too big. Change for a 3mm hook and the swatch is perfect so I begin crocheting the back and complete it during the afternoon.




Instinct: I dare say that it seems a bit small.

Brain: Oh, come on! Keep going and you’ll see that after finishing it’s going to be all right. The gauge is right. 












Day 2

I make the 2 fronts and the sleeves. Too late and too tired to sew it. Maybe tomorrow…
Instinct: I keep seeing all the parts small.

 





Brain: that’s because you see them individually. Wait until everything is done.

Instinct: Ok (A bit confused and still not sure about it).

Day 3

Time to sew all the parts together. First the two fronts to the back, then the sleeves and finally the side seams. Try it on in front of the mirror and OMG it is smaaaall!!




Instinct: I told you that it was small.

Brain: Wait my dearest grasshopper, you’ve forgotten to block it.

Instinct: Oh, ok, yes, silly of me.











Day 4

First thing in the morning, I wash the bolero, pin it and wait for it to dry. Fortunately it’s been a hot day and by 9 in the evening it is ready.

Instinct: you see, you seeee! I told you it was small and IT’S STILL SMALL!!! (visibly annoyed).

Brain: Ok,ok,  you’re right but you don’t need to shout. Let’s keep it cool and think how to fix it.

Instinct: No fixing! What she has to do is to make another one but this time I will be in charge, all right?

Brain: ok, you’re the boss now.

Day 5

Oh my! Now I have 2 days and a bit to make a new one before Friday’s post, plus taking pictures, writing…I don’t know if it’s going to be ready in time (panic mode here).

I crochet like mad the bloody beautiful bolero again. Back and fronts. It’s midnight and my eyelids insist on closing down so I go to bed.

Day 6

Little Romulan is ill so he stays at home. I manage to crochet the sleeves and sew all the parts together. Try the bolero on and confirm that fits me perfectly (phew!). Too tired to crochet the ties- such a small thing, a detail- I can do it tomorrow in the morning and take the pictures and write the post before 4 pm (you see that I’m a very positive Earth being, haha!).

Day 7

So here we are: Mrs. Soft Kitty has gone to school, I’ve taken Little Romulan to school too and I have plenty of time this morning but, after crocheting the ties, I spend AN HOUR deciding which beads I should attach to the ties. Now I have to take the pictures in 30 minutes, cook something for lunch and pick up Little Romulan from school.

I’ve never taken pictures of myself before and- Clon damn it!-  it’s been hard to control the timer and without Mc Husband taking the pictures for me I’ve been posing as if I was as mad as a hatter. Fortunately I was alone at home.

With these little hands...
Live long and prosper, from the other side...




After lunch and a quick break I’ve been choosing the less worse pics. 

















It’s been a really difficult task so I’ve ended up writing today’s post at 6 pm (after writing in English I have to write the Spanish version, yay!).











Conclusions:

- If in doubt always follow your instinct.

- Check your gauge as well as the differences between the features of the yarn recommended in the pattern and the one you intend to use. For example: cotton was originally recommended but I decided to crochet with viscose which is less tensile than the cotton in wet conditions so trying to fix an error by an intensive blocking is not suitable.




- Do not make a fool of yourself while taking pictures. Bad for your self-esteem and for the business.









- And the last one is that I feel that maybe I should keep making garments for other Earth beings…

That’s all for today which is no small thing.
Catch you next Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...