Blogging tips

Friday 9 May 2014

Blythe Summer cap with removable flower

Hmmm, not sure about the flower...

Today it's Blythe's turn to show off.

Last summer I crocheted one of my favorite human patterns for Berta (actually, Chloe is my model for today, I think she was a little bit jealous so I let her be the leading lady). 

The pattern is a design by Alla Koval and you can download it here.

If I remember well I used cotton thread number 5 and a 1.75 mm hook.

I also crocheted a small flower for embellishment but I had a problem: I wanted it to be removable.

Firstly I thought to sew a button to the back of the flower but if it was a tinny one the flower ended up dangling down loosely and if it was a big one, then it created a big bump in the cap and I could see the button through the open work.


Then I tried a safety pin but it was extremely difficult for me to attach it to the cap and fix the flower in place . Besides it was still visible and could damage the thread in the end so another failure...

Sorry, I coudn't find the tripod. Bad shot.

Finally, Mc Husband came to the rescue and, after telling him that I needed a mixture of safety pin and button, he came up with a printed oval thingy with two centered holes. 

It's very thin and, as it can be painted with acrylic paint, it was easy to match the colour of the flower. 






But the best feature of Da Thingy is that it's flexible enough to bend it and introduce it through any stitch so now I can put the flower anywhere in the cap. Cool, eh?

Ahhh, much better here!

I haven't tested it in a beanie with tighter stitches than this cap but I will. Maybe we could print shorter versions of Da Thingy and see if it works.

By the way, I've been scratching my brain to find a name for Da Thingy but my neurone is not working properly today. Can you help me? (Oh, come on! I will consider all the options).








That´s all for today which is no small thing.

Catch you next Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...